The Business Social Network: A LinkedIn-tro
What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn is a professional’s social networking site. It offers its users the opportunity to complete their profile in a resume-like style and connect with other professionals as you take your business network online. Many of you likely have a LinkedIn account. If you don’t, it’s probably time to get one. And if you do, maybe you could be leveraging it more. Here are a few reasons to either get started or get going on your LinkedIn presence.
It’s not like Facebook and Twitter.
- The average LinkedIn user’s age is 41 and their income is over $100,000.
- Approximately 80% of users are college graduates or postgraduates.
- The users operate in a much more professional manner and the content of the site reflects this.
- Users are generally ‘decision makers’ at their office.
It’s a free platform to market yourself, your employees, and your business.
- You and your employees should have a thoroughly and professionally completed LinkedIn profile that leads and customers can scout you.
- If someone was to Google your full name, your LinkedIn profile will likely come up in the first five results.
- A “recommendations” feature allows colleagues, clients or employers to post testimonials.
- There are dynamic “Groups” for specific industries and topics that allow you to communicate and connect with like-minded people and potential customers.
- You can even create your own Group (great for generating leads).
- Become an expert in your field by replying in “Discussions”, answering “Questions” and interacting in a true online business environment.
- Much like Facebook, LinkedIn offers direct paid ads that allow you to focus on your target market.
- It’s easy to integrate other platforms like your blog and Twitter account.
Cultivate your relationships.
- LinkedIn offers a simple way of staying in touch with professionals you have associated with in the past.
- If you exchange business cards, follow up by connecting on LinkedIn.
- Stay current as contacts change companies or positions and update their contact information.
To learn more about LinkedIn and how to use it effectively for business, enrol in our Social Media and Online Marketing Training Program. Learn more about our online approach.